Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Where the Sidewalk Ends

For the past two months I have been putting the finishing touches on a piece I started writing last semester. It is a choral piece written for an SSA choir and a percussion ensemble. The text I set was Shel Silverstein's "Where the Sidewalk Ends". I took a somewhat different approach to writing this in that I have chosen to write the score out by hand and include colors and illustrations on each page of the score. These are intended to help guide the performer in his or her interpretation of the piece, and will hopefully add a little more freedom to the piece itself and to the way the conductor/ensemble approaches it. More to come as I finish it up completely and have it performed/published.

P.S. I will be entering this piece in a Young Composer's Guild Competition at UT in Knoxville in November. Sir!

1 comment:

D. Fresh said...

C'mon roommate. a month w/o record of your existence. you can do better.