Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Lord of the Dance.

The coolest thing happened to me this week. This week MTW has it's re-entry conference for missionaries who have been on assignment for a long time. They come back to America and come straight to Ridge Haven to de-brief and acclimate themselves to an American lifestyle again. The junior high and senior high mk's are in cabins, and there are only 12 of them. I and one other counselor have 2 and 4 guys each, respectively, and the same with the girls. On Wednesday night Ridge Haven had a hoedown at the recreation shelter for the missionary families. The dancing was pretty sweet. I have a kid from South Africa and another from the Ukraine, and boy could the break it down. The counselors taught everyone the 16 step and the 32 step, both really cool line dances. After a while though, I really felt the spirit lead and I broke off from the group and went off into a corner and started to dance by myself. After about one hour I was soaked with sweat, bleary eyed grinning like a monkey. It felt soo good to just flail about with no objective and no audience, just letting the beat move me and in turn allowing my soul to be moved. I called upon the wise words of Chris Tucker,

"Free your mind and yo' booty WILL follow."

Oh if he only knew how accurate he was. Anyways, all of this to let you know that I danced really really hard for all told maybe an hour and ten minutes. I would have loved to dance more but something amazing happened. Something unthinkable. By far the most honorable and dazzling feat I have ever achieved.

I passed out.

That's right, I literally danced til I dropped. I wasn't aware of it until I was looking up at the concerned faces of Rachel and Megan. There eyes communicated concern, but even more they were shouting jealousy and admiration. They helped me to my feet and I teetered over to a picnic table, where I promptly downed two bottles of water. I guess I was sweating so much that I became dizzy and then unconscious from dehydration. After drinking the water and sitting still for a little, I got back on my feet and two-stepped/bottydanced/windmilled myself into oblivion till the night was over.

The only part of this story that is fabricated is that Rachel and Megan (fellow counselors) weren't at all impressed. They pretty much said I was really weird for actually being impressed with myself. I promptly re-assured them that they would never understand why it was awesome that I had passed out, and as a result of that lack of understanding they would never ever be able to really dance their heart out.

What fools they are. DANCE!

11 comments:

scotch said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
scotch said...

i was jealous. i wish that i had danced till i passed out. rah-kell and belcar know nothing of coolness. i think you're great.

kate said...

this Michael Kendall person is sounding strange and bazaar..i can see why he is friends with those Howard people (Lo, K and S)!

Damien said...

bazaar? we howards must slow down and spell. and isn't strange and bizarre vaguely redundant? mercy.

Damien said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Damien said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
robin said...

atta boy!!!!!

Sienna said...

dang boy. do it!

kyrieanna said...

yo lets stop removing comments. it makes us all way too curious. mkay pumpkin?

bout time we get a dance party going. i'm achin for one.

Michael Kendall said...

i did no such thing. i have no idea who it was; notice how it says removed by the author...

Anonymous said...

Just so you know- now you've really got a place on my Top Ten Heroes List. And that is sacred.