Sunday, June 3, 2007

Camp Begins...


Today is Sunday, and it has been a very good Sunday. I went to church at Grace PCA in Asheville this morning, then I came back to Ridge Haven and we had Chicken Pot Pie. It was diverting. After that, I went into Brevard and purchased some necessaries from Lookng Glass Outfitters. After that I came back to camp and took about a 45 minute shower, then an hour and 45 minute nap. It too was diverting. After I am done here I plan on going and shooting some arrows into the middle of the bullseye at the ol' archery range, then maybe some bouldering to really cap the day.

Now that you are up to date on my sabbath, I would like to let you know about the upcoming week. Yesterday marked the official end of counselor training. We as counselors have been embedded with Trinitarian evangelism techniques, CPR and AED capabilities, all the outdoor adventure activites you can imagine, and how to cook steaks over a fire. I am truly ready to take on the world. Actually, that is the opposite of the truth. I am grateful for the training I have received, but I am also very aware of the fact that I am in no way ready for the upcoming week. Last summer I remember feeling absolutley reinforced and solidly prepared to lead and disciple a cabin of campers. I quickly found out that I was nowhere even close to being ready for it, and was dangling from the end of my rope by Wednesday of the first week. Pray that God will give me supernatural energy and dedication to my kids. It really takes absolute selflessness in order to serve your kids, and if I had to think of one word that would describe the polar opposite of my nature, I think that selfless would be it. It is so hard to lose yourself for the sake of a bunch of 8 year old dweebs who just want to have fun. I love just having fun, but pray that God would also give me the courage to purusue them on a deeper level, and that I would be able to have beneficial one-on-ones with each of them before the week is over.

I am very excited about camp starting, but one of the downsides is that I will only have access to the computer/internet on the weekends. Expect delayed posting as a result, but do not count it as a lack in activity. I assure you I will be more active then I have been in a long time.

P.S. I am memorizing the whole book of Ephesians (hopefully) and doing 100 push ups a day. Boo-yah Gilbert's...

7 comments:

kyrieanna said...

oh man..i love little boys. really i do. i much prefer babysiting little boys than girls. lots more action and imagination going on.

i'll pray you up:)

Anonymous said...

I second that Kyrie. Little boys are WAY more fun. Michael, I am praying that God will give you lots of wisdom and lots of stamina!! Your campers are so cute. And hey! Did you cut your hair? nice... ;)

Sienna said...

man mikey, honestly you seem quite perfect for this job. Im sure it will be challenging but that's why you have the wallballers... to pray for you. teach those boys how to shoot 7 bullseyes in a row, alright?! go get em.

Michael Kendall said...

bt-dub, that is a pic from last summer. my hair is currently brushing the nape of my neck.

Sienna said...

(I mean 6 bullsyes:)

Anonymous said...

Well, I guess i like your hair enough how it is now to be okay with that. Let me know if you need any extra head bands, I can hook you up man. The nape of your neck?! Maybe i should send some hair ties too. One day can you part your hair down the middle and take a picture for me? Maybe pig tails too. Yes, definitely pig tails.

Sienna said...

okay mikey... i know you're busy but you have to be faithful to the wallballer blogger club! you can't let a whole week go by without posting...!

(we're waiting)